Main content

Historical Timeline: Children's Aid Society of Oxford County

pdfDownload the Timeline

Year

Event

1894

The first recorded meeting of the Woodstock Children's Aid Society is held at the Woodstock YMCA. Mr. George R. Pattullo becomes the first President of the Board.

1895

The Children's Aid Society of the Town of Woodstock receives its official charter under the Children's Protection Act of 1893. Retired farmer and Board member, Daniel Larke, is appointed as the first Local Agent.

1900

A shortage of foster homes in Woodstock results in some children being placed at the House of Refuge and the London Children's Shelter.

1909

At age 80 Daniel Larke resigns as the Local Agent and is succeeded by Reverend C.S. Pedley former Minister of the Congregational Church in Woodstock.

1914

The Society purchases the Nellis property which is converted into the Woodstock Children's Shelter.

1920

The Society enters into a financial agreement for funding with the Town of Woodstock and the County of Oxford. A Children's Shelter Board of Management is formed to oversee the Shelter's operations.

1921

The Children of Unmarried Parents Act provides protection services to illegitimate children and the Society completes 65 adoptions under the Adoptions Act of Ontario.

1925

A total of 250 children had been made Society Wards by the Courts dating back to 1907. The use of foster homes as an alternative to the Shelter begins.

1935

The appointment of the first trained social worker as Superintendent, Mr. Eric Smit.

1940

The Society's Shelter is closed and the children were placed in foster homes. The Department of National Defence uses the Shelter for a Military Hospital. Society offices move to the County Court House.

1942 The British Child Guests Act during World War II allowed for the Society to place and supervise children shipped over from Great Britian and other Dominion governments.
1944 The first Juvenile Court is established in Oxford County.
1945 The Society celebrates its 50th year anniversary.
1954 In September 1954, the Society's new office building situated on the County Square is officially opened. The Province amalgamates the Protection Act, the Adoption Act and the Unmarried Parents act into the Child Welfare Act of Ontario.
1960 The first staff psychologist is hired by the Society. The Homemaker Program and the Infant Nursery are added.
1966 The revised Child Welfare Act makes the Provincial Government responsible for the funding of Children's Aid Societies.
1970 The Society celebrates its 75th year anniversary. There are 18 full-time staff members. The Tillsonburg sub-office opens.
1975 A second floor addition is added to the Society's main office building.
1978 Stronger abuse laws are now in place, broadening the definition of child abuse to include deprivation, mental abuse and sexual molestation.
1980 The Ministry provides funding for prevention services. The Inter Agency Child Abuse Team is formed.
1982 The Society feels the impact of the new Young Offenders Act.
1983 Arson damages the Society's main office building resulting in temporary relocation. A full-time Volunteer Program begins.
1985 The Child Welfare Act is replaced by the Child and Family Services Act.
1986 The Family Violence Counselling Program begins offering treatment and support services and programs for victims and perpetrators of family violence.
1993 Addition completed to 92 Light Street
1994 The official opening of the Society's new building expansion by Premier Bob Rae.
1995 The Children's Aid Society of Oxford County celebrates 100 years of service to children and families.
2002 Internal renovations to increase office space at 92 Light Street, Woodstock
2009 Agency moves Resources and Children’s Services Department to renovated space at 989 Dundas Street, Woodstock
2014 March – staff move from three locations into new building at 712 Peel Street, Woodstock